The recent discovery in the cellar of a home in Saxonwold, Johannesburg of an old discoloured, brass plaque is a heritage opportunity and opens space for reviewing the motives and outcomes of the Royal Visit to South Africa in 1947.
Bedford Court, designed by Sir Herbert Baker for George Farrar (later Sir George) and whose foundation stone was laid by Lord Milner in 1903, now forms the heart of St Andrew’s School for Girls, recognised as one of the leading girls’ schools in South Africa.
Jill Weintroub is a Research Fellow at the Rock Art Research Institute at the University of the Witwatersrand. In 2006 she completed a M Phil at the University of Cape Town on the Bleek Lloyd archival Collection. It is this collection of notebooks and associated papers collected in the 1870s and beyond that in 1997 were recognized by UNESCO in their Memory of the World Register.